We generally don’t think twice about how surrounding household items affect our wellbeing, but it’s often the things right under our noses that could be causing that common cold, or the persistent cough at night that’s keeping our SO wide awake. One of the main health risks living next to us is mold.
The way houses are structured today makes it easier than ever for mold to sneak in and silently worsen our health. Mold builds up quickly on wood, drywall, and wallpaper, and because our homes are sealed for energy efficiency, the locked in moisture only exacerbates this growth. This buildup can cause allergic reactions in one in every three people, and significantly aggravate asthma in those who already suffer from it.
No matter who you are, or where you live, everyone needs to reduce the amount of mold and mildew in the air they are breathing in. If you smell a musty odor in your home or workplace, there is a good chance that it is probably mold or mildew.
Of course, if you actually see mold in your home or office, then you know you have a problem. The bad news is, most of the toxic mold floating around in our air is actually invisible to the naked eye, but still may be seriously affecting your health.
You should consider having a professional check out your home’s mold situation if there are any visual indications of discoloration, peeling, or water intrusion. Furthermore, faint musty smells anywhere are good reasons to call in an expert. If you’re also battling constant physical symptoms such as sneezing, coughing, dry eyes, or rashes, don’t hesitate to schedule a mold specialist to come by.